Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Of Course

Today's ten minute free write is brought to you in part by Leah, and by Caitlyn via our picture prompt:
original link

Mud seeps through my night slippers immediately. Of course. 

“Of course this dimension wouldn’t be like a normal forest,” I mutter to no one, reaching for a branch to pull myself out of the schlop. Snap.

Of course. 

“’Meet me at half-past the thirteenth hour,’ she says, as if that’s as easy as swiping a swollen plum from the tree out back.” I shake clumps of mud and bracken off my hands, but nothing will do but to wipe them on my crumpled robe. 

I grimace at the black crescent residue still under my nails. I flick them, then look up at the sky.

Sigh.

“So I’m here,” I say toward the trees, spinning a slow circle. I’m distracted by the mud between my toes. “I’m here at exactly half-past, but where’s she? Declares an emergency of catastrophic proportions and then where, I ask. Just where is she?”

“Whoever are you talking to, Henrietta?” a laughing voice filters down through the canopy. 

“Myself, of course,” I reply, fisting my hands on my hips as I turn to the sound. “I’m a perfectly fine person to talk to, don’t you think?”


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Loving the prompts! And loving the love! Keep it all coming!

      Delete
  2. Black muck under the nails. Ew. Such a perfect detail, along with the mud between the toes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I revel in the details. I'm glad you loved them too

      Delete
  3. Great writing! Of course. :) That last line sounds like something witty I would think of after I got home. It makes me like her immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Of course! I always think of the best things to say a couple days later :D

      Delete
  4. Of course she is an awesome person to talk to! Can I talk to her some more please?!? Can you talk to her some more please???? I loved this, I'm loving these prompts and these fantastice worlds we are sewing the seeds of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun, yes? My shriveled writing heart is laughing a bit again

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...