Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Final Countdown: 22 Days

If you need some background or a reminder, here's the gist.

And here's my inspiration today:

link to original here
I so much love crock pots. You? Today especially, because with all the writing + Saturday-to-do stuff, it's time to crock pot it up. The ease of crock pots inspires me to be able to put more of my energy elsewhere. Here's my recipe:

Hot and Sour Soup

4 c vegetable broth
1 (12 oz) package tofu, diced
2 green onions, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 portobello mushroom, sliced
1 c chopped cabbage
1 Tbs Thai chile sauce (I like the one with garlic in it too)
1 Tbs rice vinegar
3 Tbs soy sauce

Directions:

1. Measure broth into saucepan (or in this case, the crock pot); bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. (I also like to add some sesame oil at this point, though the recipe doesn't call for it, because I like the nutty flavor).

2. Add mushrooms and cabbage; simmer for 5-10 minutes (or in the crock pot, as long as you want to for whatever tenderness you prefer. I'll probably do this part for a couple of hours).

3. Next add the tofu and green onions. (I'm not sure how long to cook these, I didn't write it down back when I was initially putting the recipe into my book. Crock pot? Maybe 30 mins? Regular pan, maybe 5-10? Depends on how strong you want the onion flavor to be). Slowly drizzle in the beaten egg to make long strands.

4. Remove from heat and season with chile sauce, vinegar, and soy sauce.

If you try it too, happy cooking! And happy projects, and happy Saturday stuff! I'm wishing you a lovely day and magic moments in whatever you chose to do.



4 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing, or is it just because I am in a food mood today??? So going to try this in my slow cooker (really doesn't sound as good as crock pot, think my slow cooker may have to just become American!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turned out really good. I had to substitute some stuff, but it was so nice to have the smell cooking in the background. Mmm.

      Delete
  2. Sounds so yummy!! I, like Sleepy Joe am in a food mood today, too.

    I got rid of my crock pot, but maybe need to get another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to have them for days like this. Otherwise, it mostly hides, but it's nice to know it's there :) Yay for food moods.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...