Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tip Jar: The Red Dress

link to original here
Many thanks to The M Half at The M Half of the M-n-J Show who introduced me to the Red Dress Club, aka the insightful people over at Write on Edge. Apparently she inadvertently introduced me to Jenny of The Bloggess too, who is making my sassy-side smile deviously, so double my "many" thanks to M for being that awesome. 

The writer in me is loving the Write on Edge site and urges all y'all other writers out there to trundle over in that direction when you have the time to put your feet up and peruse. I don't think you'll be disappointed. And it is from their "About Page," where they quote the aforementioned Bloggess, that I bring you today's tip:

link to original here

"I want, just once, to wear a bright red, strapless ball gown with no apologies. I want to be shocking, and vivid and wear a dress as intensely amazing as the person I so want to be. And the more I thought about it the more I realized how often we deny ourselves that red dress and all the other capricious, ridiculous, overindulgent and silly things that we desperately want but never let ourselves have because they are simply “not sensible”. Things like flying lessons, and ballet shoes, and breaking into spontaneous song, and building a train set, and crawling onto the roof just to see the stars better. Things like cartwheels and learning how to box and painting encouraging words on your body to remind yourself that you’re worth it.”

For many of us, our Red Dress is our dream to become a published writer. Maybe we just need a little extra motivation.

Maybe we just have to try to Write on Edge."


So writing on edge? An interesting visual, interesting idea. I have my own thoughts on this, but I'm wondering what it brings up for you. I dare you to share?



Total pages logged as of today:

183. This doesn't really show my progress on my noveling project, though, since that's my first rough draft and now I'm working on back story, character sheets, editing and research, so I'm trying to think of another way to show what I'm doing and how it's coming along. Suggestions? Is this even interesting to people reading?

Moment of Magic today:

Hubs once said my difficulty with getting up pre-8 am was so bad it could be regarded as a disability. Heh. Maybe so. But today I got up at 6:30? Yes that's right. To run, even. No, there was no emergency I was running to or from. It was the Eye of the Tiger, baby. I'm running a 10K with the Fam in May. *cough* That's not very far away.

So 6 am training sessions? I'm definitely going to need some magic here. Eye of the Tiger revamped, even:

8 comments:

  1. Love it! My "red dress" was my actual wedding dress--even though it was not red. I had everyone in kingdom come trying to tell me what to wear and what not to wear. I knew what I wanted though, and I stuck with it. I wore a lavender ball gown sleeveless with my black and gray skechers. I am not saying I was a maverick, but I was definitely the first person I knew to wear sneakers with a wedding dress. It was magical to me (and still is over 10 years later) that I was able to pull that outfit off and hold my head high.

    I am so proud of you that you are running a 10K! I know you can do it well. You were always a superhero to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part of your story is that it's still, 10 years later, magical to you. That's when you know you've made the right decision. And I'm sure you would have regretted it if you'd caved to all those people and their suggestions. Perfect story.

      As for running the 10K perfectly? Nah. Even running it well? Probably not, but. They keep trying to get me to run half-marathons and I'm all -- "Really? Why would you (I) want to do that to your (my) body?"

      But a 10K...I don't know. I'm still skeptical, but thanks for the encouragement :)

      Delete
  2. Oh! Yay that you like WoE and holy smokes, is Jenny Lawson a genius, or what? That bit about the red dress always makes me cry. Big fat slow salty tears.

    I'm so glad to have introduced you to something you like. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I really, really like WoE. When I saw what you were doing, then went to their site? Butterflies. Giddy joy. I don't know why it hit me so deeply, but I think I've got a blog crush or something.

      Delete
  3. Bloggess fan from way back. Will have to check out the WoE site--I have seen the button on The M Half's page and been curious, but always running short on time at the computer. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guh! I know! I hate the running short on time at the computer thing. It's very much stressing me out, lately. Well, my problem is not so much a lack of time at computer as it is focused time (writing my novel) at the computer.

      Focus, focus, focus.

      Frustrated, frustrated, focus.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had much of a chance to explore Write on Edge...I feel as though I've been clinging to the edge of sanity for the last couple of weeks!

    But, for me, just the phrase Write on Edge, means pushing my limits, examining those topics and ideas that feel uncomfortable, pushing myself to expose myself in ways that feel vulnerable but that help me establish connections in healthy ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean by clinging to the edge of sanity, for sure. So many things going on. Thanks for your thoughts on what this means -- I love that you recognize that though something can be uncomfortable and vulnerable, it can help us grow and connect. That in fact, this is healthy, and can help us be more content. Generally I think we put "vulnerable" in the same thought-box as "unhealthy" or "avoid-at-all-costs." Maybe I'm just speaking for me? Heh.

      Good thoughts, good thoughts. Thanks.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...