Monday, March 19, 2012

Deadlines and Updates

Ok I’ll try to keep today’s post relatively short, while at the same time covering quite a bit of ground. I know a few of you are more interested in some topics I cover than others, so I’ll make things easier this time. Here are my three subjects today; feel free to skip to whichever section most grabs your fancy:


1.      Conference/deadlines.
2.      Asking for help.
3.      NPR gig?

link to original here
One: So I purposefully made this deadline coincide with this conference because I thought they would lend well to each other. I was right. The conference was tremendously worthwhile, both for feedback as well as networking, but now more than ever I know there’s a lot of work still left to do.
First rough-draft down, at least 11 still left to go.They gave us some new writing tools about character-stuff and plotting-stuff at the conference that I’ll be sharing on Tuesday this week and next (3/20 and 3/27), so watch for those.

Two: Meanwhile, did I say 11 drafts? At least? Heh. I have to admit that just looks huge in my head, and the thought of all that hugeness makes me want to curl up in bed with the covers over my ears. To hibernate until further notice. 
link to original here
But recognizing my fear helps me face it. I need to get my mind back into noveling, and I’m doing this by setting smaller, more attainable goals. At the same time, though, I don’t want my blog to slow down?
So this is where I’m asking for help. For the next two weeks I’m going to need a little outsourced content. What’s that called in the blogosphere – guest writing, I think? I would absolutely love me some guest writers. Do I have any volunteers?

It would be for the “300 Words or Less” posts on Thursdays. Take courage, take heart, and message me for details. Or say you have your own blog and want to create the piece on your site? Then do a link-up? Love it. Send me the link and we'll play that way. Easy-peasy. 

If you need something to spark your interest, try incorporating one of these ideas:

  • The travel-size humidifier is leaking again.
  • A bent bottle cap lying on the floor next to a...?
  • "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain
  • Or for my visual friends, try this:
link to original here


















And then,

Three: NPR is doing this cool creative competition called, "Three Minute Fiction." Details can be found here, but the quickies are:
  • Must start with the sentence, "She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally, decided to walk through the door."
  • Per the title of the competition, it needs to be original short fiction that can be read in less than three minutes -- so 600 words or less.
  • The deadline is Sunday, March 25, at 11:59 pm ET.
I’m all over this one. You? Come on, it’s only 600 words. Or less. Do I really need to dare you to?


Total pages logged as of today: Visit my First Draft -- Deb Stats page to find out

Moment of Magic today:

It would be magical if I could line up some guest writers for the next couple of weeks, so I'm wishing on a star tonight, which brings back some sweet memories of warm summer nights.

link to original here

13 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how the conference went. I'm so glad that it offered a plethora of information. 11 rough drafts! Wow! You can do it & I'm not just saying that for encouragement, but because you hit on the key to your secess in this post "smaller goals." Any motivational speaker or even just someone on the Fortune 500 list would tell you that making small attainable goals leading up the the main big goal is the key. No one has 100 lbs just FALL off of them in one big fat blob. They loose it one once...one pound at a time. I'm confident in your sucess!
    The travel personal humidifier is leaking again! LMAO! Humidifiers are such precarious little buggers. All the more reason we should move to a humid tropical climate. Maybe with your novel $ "we" can buy a small island. Look at me, I'm already helping you spend your fortune. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no, silly. The humidifier isn't leaking again, but it'd make a good story, eh? Who was involved, who did it affect; what happened; why is it leaking, why does it matter; where was it sitting... blah, blah. The five W's and all that. The fact that it's a travel-size humidifier just opens up worlds of possibilities, doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  2. You've got a lot going on! Good luck and I hope to hear your 3-minute story on my drives to and from work as I listen to NPR in the car!

    I don't see a link on your profile to your email. Send me one and I will send you info on the work out I am doing as well as trying to figure out more of what would be involved in a guest post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Good call on the link to my email. That little hitch has been fixed, and thanks for giving me a heads-up about it.

      For the sake of ease again, though, here's the contact info: debroughstevens@gmail.com

      Definitely let me know what your questions are about the guest post -- I'd love to have your thoughts, your stories, your help. And thanks for the workout stuff too, I love that you remembered :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yay! This is fabulous news! I'd love you to keep me updated on how 3 is going, but 2...

      Heh. An image from your last post about Chief laughing with the older ladies at church about your leather pants and hair cut just flashed across my mind. I think it was one of those details where I go, "Ooo, good one," but then there are all these other great details too that come after, so it gets put on the back burner. Distracted by details.

      Anyway, ...but 2. How do you want to do that one? I'd appreciate your help with the guest posting. Thanks to a.eye's comment, I updated my contact info on my profile so that works. Continuing through commenting also works for me too.

      Delete
    2. I will email you. Like laws and sausages, no one really wants to see what goes into a blog post, right? ;)

      Delete
  4. You did it to me again!!! You are such a distraction lol. Got to say I love the sound of the competition, you will have to post how you do otherwise I won't get to find out here in the UK! That sentence sparked so many ideas today I have at least 600 words already, it felt good to write even if it will end up being just for me.

    Good luck with the mini goals, you have your eyes on the prize so I am sure you will get there! I have yet to set myself one main goal yet. Procrastination and self doubt is my past time at the moment, but hey it means I get to spend time reading your blog so not all bad ;-) Looking forward to the guest posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Another point for Deb* Awesome :) I'll certainly post how things go with the competition. For the most part I think it's good practice for working toward a deadline, and for pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I'm not much of a competitor, and in the past I would have just automatically checked out at the mention of the word.

      So.

      As for procrastination and self-doubt? Yes, and yes, I totally get it. Just out of curiosity, do you feel like blogging helps with those?

      Delete
    2. Blogging is helping a little with the self doubt, especially when I get great comments from my lovely on line friends ;-)

      However I do sometimes get distracted by blogging and reading other blogs :-/ Classic case of the double edged sword. Although if I am in the mood to justify my blogsphere wanderings...it's all research ;-) How's about you? Does blogging help you?

      Delete
    3. Ha! So true! Love the double-edged sword bit. I tell myself research, yes, but I also say I'm building my marketing platform. Ooo, now doesn't that sound all fancy?

      Yes, blogging helps a lot. Feedback from people helps me see I'm not alone in this whole wanting to write thing, helps me see things from different angles, and helps me understand the idea and importance of community a little better.

      And of course the great comments help :)

      Delete
  5. Give me a little while, and a goal, and I may just start to sound all fancy too ;-) Love it!

    I agree, it is nice to know we are not alone in this and that wanting to write is not such a silly idea! Looking forward to the writing tools and tips tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read your blog post today about dreams -- beautiful. You sound fancy already, chicka.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...