Friday, February 17, 2012

Fairy Tale Friday: An Alternate Sleeping Beauty

It’s really all just a big open space, with the only thing distinguishing our kitchen from our living room being the different flooring. Purple shag for one (don’t be jealous) and wood-laminate for the other. I’ll let you guess which is which.

This makes it relatively easier to keep my eye on Alpha while I prep dinner. For this story he was wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, and riveted to Disney’s 1973 version of Sleeping Beauty because he’d never seen it before. Granted, he’s only two, so he hasn’t seen a lot of things yet. 

Now, bear with me please. This is one of my top five favorite fairytales, so even though we’ve already gone over it somewhat here, I can’t help but bring it up again.

Especially when the following happened:

Hubs came home from work all cheery and jovial, which meant the minute his bag and coat came off, he was cracking jokes. Only, I was making dinner and Alpha was watching a movie. Even for the most innovative of entertainers, that’s not an ideal audience. 

Of course his jibes turned then to the movie. This is about where it was at:



Swords and fighting and dragons, oh my! This is the “boy” part! And yet he was still making fun of it.

One of my favorite fairytales of all time. 

I’m going to go ahead and admit, here, I was feeling a bit rankled. Needless to say, our vegetables ended up being a little more finely chopped than they needed to be.

Now fast-forward the video to around 7 minutes and 45 seconds. This is the “girl” part. Pitter-patter, pitter-patter goes my heart. Sigh.

Hubs is saying, “Oh, gross! Alpha, don’t watch.”

Alpha is watching anyway.

“Alpha. Don’t even think about that kind of stuff til you’re, like, 20.”

I wonder if Alpha understands.

“Ew, they’re kissing. Uuugh!” Hubs won’t let up.

 But Alpha stands up to look over the back of the couch at me. Pointing back at the movie he says, “Mom!...something, something…” (He’s still working on his full sentences).

I just smile at him cause, guh, he is so cute.

“Yeah, that part’s for Mom,” Hubs says.

Alpha is still trying to communicate a point, though, only I’m not sure what. So I keep smiling at him, and he keeps pointing back and forth between the movie and me. 

Finally his eyes take on a determined look and he gets down off the couch, walks over to me, and takes my hand. With a little-boy tug he pulls so I’ll squat down to his height. When I do, I’m rewarded with a kiss on the cheek.

A very princely kiss, and a, “Cute, Mama.”

Suddenly I was awake to the lovely glow of the evening, and how great that moment felt. Awake and alive. And grateful. Alpha went back to finish his movie. I went back to finishing our meal. Hubs went back to his fun-loving jests. 

Now I have another reason to love the Sleeping Beauty story.

Life moves on. But fairytales, and the memories embedded into them, are forever.

So what stories do you have connected to fairytales?

Link to artist here

Total pages logged as of today: 145

Moment of Magic today:
I'm very tired. If I can get a nap in today, that will be magical. This is me making a wish.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Shasta! Thanks for the love. I know it would have been easy to just think that and move along, or to write it in FB or something, but you took the extra time to write it in my comments here. Thank you, thank you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...