Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Bumbling and Believing

Today we went to get our taxes done. Barton Moody is our go-to guy, and he makes tax season magical, because where I used to get this awful, sick feeling in my stomach pretty much from January to whenever I finally turned them in, now I look forward to getting them done. Barton is really good at what he does, yes, but he’s really nice too.

When I told him I was working on a book he actually believed me. This took me off guard for some reason. I mean, I am working on a book. But while Hubs, my close family, and a few friends have seen the “proof,” I haven’t really talked face-to-face with anyone else about it.

So when he asked me what the genre was, I just looked at him dumbfounded, as if I’d never heard the word before. Ha.

With very little grace, I stuttered, “Uh, I guess it’s fantasy? I mean, not really science fiction at all…(I’m kicking myself inwardly, here, cause I know I’m sounding clueless)…but it takes place in present day…”

His look is still interested. Encouraging. I don’t know what else to say so I look desperately around the room as if the answer is written on the wall or scrolled across one of the windows, “But it’s about angels? And demons…?”

Obviously I was floundering. Yes, I know exactly what section I’d find my book in at the store, but in that moment with Barton I was just so shocked that anyone outside my immediate circle would truly consider me to be a writer. A real one, who publishes and stuff.

But despite my suave detailing he nodded and said, “Well I look forward to reading it.” His expression didn’t change the whole time – as if he still believed me at the end of my bumbling as much as he did when he first asked the question.

Huh.

What’s my point? Believe in yourself, and others will believe in you too. 

Total pages logged as of today: 127

Moment of Magic today:


(my favorite part:) 
"Mother don't worry I've got a coat and some friends on the corner
Mother don't worry she's got a garden we're it planting together
Mother remember the night that the dog had her pups in the pantry
Blood on the floor and the fleas in their paws
And you cried 'til the morning

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten
Sons are like birds flying always over the mountain."
 

2 comments:

  1. The Barton Moody story made me happy and sad. Happy that you figured out that if you believe in yourself others will believe in you too. Sad, cause I sounds that you might be laking in the believing in yourself just a bit. That is ok too though cause sometimes we need others to help us along the way until we can try to go it alone. Still my point is that we are never alone there are always others around who believe in us even when we waiver. That may not make sence at all...caffine has not kicked in...but maybe you get the jist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do get the jist. It definitely makes sense, caffeine or no. So true. I think wavering is part of the whole deal, though, and I think you're very right in saying there are always others who believe in us, so learning to love them and be loved by them is an important part of the deal too.

    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...