Thursday, February 23, 2012

300 Words or Less: Dog Eat Dog

300 Thursday again? Yes. This last week has felt somewhat Twilight-Zoney. I can't tell if it's gone by fast or slow. Regardless, here I am again posting bits of original work -- teasers from the novel I'm working on, some of my favorite poetry or prose I've done in the last few years, maybe some flash fiction or short essays, etc. -- all within 300 words or less. 

Today's quickie is again a poem I wrote a couple of years ago. While reading through my older stuff last week I bumped into this piece, making me do a mental "Huh. Interesting?" but then I decided to do another poem instead.

Still, I've been thinking about the last lines of this poem ever since. Which makes me think maybe someone else(s) out there needs to hear it too? Or maybe I just needed to see it again? I don't know. So without further ado:


Link to original here
Dog Eat Dog

Dog eat dog,
so They say.

Who has the last word
at the end of the day?

Is that all that matters?
Seems like power

is all that matters.
But who has power?

The person with all the money?
The person with all the sway?

The person who believes in themselves,
no matter what They say?

Seems like most just want to be.
What does it mean

if I just let you eat me?



Total pages logged as of today: 152 (Still? What? I know, I know...life happened, and now I'm panicking just a little bit. Bah. See my Moment of Magic for more on this.) 

Moment of Magic today:

Link to original here
 
I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that unconsciously I'm trying to sabotage myself, which I have been known to do in the past, because one: I'm getting close to the end of my first draft; and two: I'm getting close to my self-imposed due date.

These two things are a big deal, if to no one else, to me.

But if I bungle it up? Ha! I'll be a failure to myself, yet again, and oh how much easier it is to fail at something than to succeed. And if I'm always failing, then why try? Ever?

Of course there's this and there's this. Right.

And there's the bit about how I really want to be a published writer someday so I want to prove to myself that I can do the deadline thing. Even when life happens, or storms hit home, or the doubt seems bigger than my abilities.

So here's the plan --

I have 6 nights left before March 1st. I have 5 chapters left to write. For my first draft I'm trying to get around 10 pages in per chapter (*gulp* So do you see the self-sabotage I'm talking about? Because usually it takes me about an hour per page).  I have them outlined, though, so it's really just a matter of getting the story out of my head...

Aha. And there, my friends, is my magic moment. It seems simple right this second, I know. But consider how magical that really is -- having something in your head, and then you put it down on paper, or mold it into clay, or create the perfect photograph. Whatever. And it takes on a tangible "life" of its own.

So back to the plan.

Ah, hell. Scratch the plan. This is the first draft and I just need to get that infantile version out of my head, into the computer, and then I can go back afterward to make it pretty. Have you ever noticed newborns are not so cute? Not when they first come sliding out and...and I'm not a blood person so even imagining it in my head is making me a little queasy. My first draft can be a scary-looking blue, covered in vernix, and gasping for air?

Heh. I can do that.


Here are some of my visuals for tonight's session (initiate all-writing-tricks mode): 

What stories do they evoke in your mind? I dare you to write one down and see where it'll take you...

Link to original here

Link to original sends you to a lost page, sorry.

Link to original here



4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of finding a photo and creating a story based on what comes to your mind.

    I will have to try that on days when I may have some sort of writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I love to look at all the little details, try to figure out what's actually happening in the picture (which is most likely not at all what's really happening, I know) and then come up with some kind of twist.

      Definitely try it when you need something to help push you through writer's block. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. K, so you are definately trying to sabatoage yourself. Stop! I know you and I'm sure you are trying to get to many details and less rough draft down than the 1st rough draft needs to be. Just write. Don't worry if you skip a word here or there. Just let the story flow from you. You are very talented. I can say this with authority cause I have read much of your stuff. Think possitive "I have finish my 1st draft" and you and the universe will make it so. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working on it. Positive helps, especially when others around me are being positive. Thanks, Heth.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...